Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pissed


Since I ain't wrote in a while, just a couple of days back I was fixing to write a post about how I'm not pissed enough, neither in the English nor the American sense of the word, to write anything. Lossihront is an angry motherfucker who writes about all the shit he sees in this world, but truth be told, I'm so happy here (and I don't read the world news regularly) I can't get inspired to write a god damn thing. Well, Asus to the rescue. Now I'm good and pissed (American).

Back in May I got me a shiny new Asus G75 with hybrid graphics and what not. Turns out the motherfucker comes with UEFI instead of a regular BIOS, which means I'm in a world of shit if I want to run a real operating system on it. See, Microsoft is preparing the world for what they call "secure boot", which is really "restricted boot" and this apparently has something to do with UEFI. Ok, I done paid the MS tax, so I'm running this fuck of an OS that came with the machine, waiting for my favorite Linux distro SolusOS to start supporting UEFI. Just when the update is about to be released and I'm supposed to help out testing the new OS, the bitch of a computer breaks down. Fucked keyboard? Check. Fucked DVD drive? Check. Fucked motherboard? Check.

So I try returning the cotton picking thing to Asus. They refer me to a subcontractor - Letmerepair in Sweden. (I live way out on an island in the Gulf of Finland, so this whole business of shipping stuff around the world is kind of difficult for me. I don't even got a mail box on my island. Got electricity last year, though.) Anyway, I travel to the city, Helsinki, wrap the computer in a bunch of newspapers and ask a lady friend to let UPS pick up the package at her workplace. She is in a shitty mood and gives me some lip, but agrees. After a while I get the verdict. The fucking UPS don't reckon I packed the machine good enough so they won't take it. Well fuck! I go and get the computer back, rewrap it so it can withstand a fucking tsunami and get it shipped off the next day.

Asus told me fixing the computer would take about 2-3 weeks so I'm pleasently surprised when I actually get it back in two. It's only snowing a little bit and just a bit below freezing when I take my little boat to the nearest village to pick up the package with the presumably fixed computer. (I stock up on rolling tobacco and kerosene while I'm there, so no trouble.) When I get home I put some more wood in the fireplace and prepare to boot. A piece of paper that came with the package says they replaced the keyboard and the motherboard. It does boot up. They didn't destroy my Linux. But here is the thing. The DVD drive is still broke! These fucking guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment